Today’s “Sunshine Week” post comes from NDC Director Sheryl Shenberger and is an update on prioritized NDC projects and final processing.
In my previous blog posts I offered a new option for prioritizing records that lack final processing: the opportunity for interested researchers to choose which series from a selected list should go the head of our queue. Now I am offering you something new: a more inclusive listing of projects available for indexing. Below is a chart of the many series available for final processing, some are small, some contain many boxes. Some will require much segregation of still-sensitive information before they can be provided; others will indeed be a quick turn around. The spreadsheet contains all of the backlog entries that are in our Indexing queue and includes: the acronym or name and number of the original record group; NARA Holdings Managewment System (HMS) identification numbers; the record entry name for the series; dates of the records within the series (not always immediately available); and the size (possibly estimated) of the series itself.
As before, you can correspond with us via our firstname.lastname@example.org email box or by replying to this blog post. We can then offer you an estimate on the complexity of the final processing needed as well as a tentative timeline to completion.
We are still working the selected series I offered previously, and the following is a status report (in red):
- REID 292485, RG 341 (U.S. Air Force), Entry UD 1001, “Assistant Chief Of Staff, Intelligence, Intelligence Report Files” – 1600 boxes (1.4M pages) Indexing started 6/15/2014 – 100% complete, included on Release List dated 15 September 2014, publically available.
- REID108618, RG 255 (NASA), Entry A1 93-D, “Classified Numerical Files of Documents [NACA: Numerical File of Documents from the NACA Library, 1916-1962]” – 2,510 boxes (2.1M pages) Indexing started 7/18/2014 – 100% complete, included on Release List dated 15 September 2014, publically available.
- REID 337873, RG 319 (Army Staff), Entry UD-WX 92, “Department Of The Army CMH Boxes Re Vietnam” – 190 boxes (450K pages) Indexing started 9/08/2014 – 100% complete and queued up for the next Release List.
- REID 374812, RG 338, (U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Org. (WW II and Thereafter), Entry UD-UP 77, “Classified Records of U.S. Army Commands Transferred from the National Personnel Records Center, St. Louis, MO” – 479 boxes (1.2M pages) Indexing started 10/06/2014 – 56% complete.
- REID 163442, RG 72 (Bureau of Aeronautics), Entry UD 1047, “Technical Information Library Collection” – 8,038 boxes (6.7M pages) Indexing started 8/28/2014 – 52% complete.
- REID 156444, RG 74 (Bureau of Ordinance), Entry A1 1021-A, “Scientific and Technical Reports” – 1,661 boxes (4.1M pages)
- REID 341575, RG 402 (Bureau of Naval Weapons), Entry UD-UP 19, “Confidential and Unclassified Subject Files, 1960” – 231 boxes (577K pages)
- REID 346288, RG 402, (Bureau of Naval Weapons), Entry UD-WX 1728, “Technical Reports” – 222 boxes (555K pages)
- REID 319094, RG 343 (Naval Air Systems Command), Entry UD-WW 198, “Air 604 TECH Reports 69; Acc. # 69-A-4901” – 220 boxes (550K pages)
- REID 132240, RG 38 (Office of the Chief of Naval Operations), Entry A1 1009, “Office Of Naval Intelligence; Publications File” – 486 boxes (405K pages)
- REID 384848, RG 38 (Office of the Chief of Naval Operations), Entry UD-UP 14, “Archives Branch Hist Record, 1971” – 150 boxes (375K pages)
- REID 319134, RG 343 (Naval Air Systems Command), Entry UD-WW 211, “Correspondence Relating to the Message Section [Air 60324 PRIM PROGM Records 67-69; Acc. # 70-A-1635]” – 111 boxes (278K pages)
- REID 157274, RG 19 (Bureau of Ships), Entry UD 1017-AR, “Secret General Correspondence, 1962” – 270 boxes (224K pages)
- REID 149085, RG 72 (Bureau of Aeronautics), Entry UD 1005-E, “Enclosures to Secret Correspondence Files” – 286 boxes (237K pages)
- REID 157340, RG 19 (Bureau of Ships), Entry UD 1017-AU, “Secret General Correspondence, 1965” – 288 boxes (238K pages)
- REID 13489, RG 38 (Office of the Chief of Naval Operations), Entry A1 1003, “ONI; Administrative Branch; Administrative Correspondence; 1948-1956” – 238 boxes (197K pages)